- The NFL Will Never Solve Its Concussion Problem
- Will Ferrell Just Yells At Derek Jeter For An Entire Four Minutes
- 10 More Reasons You Should Try The Diet LeBron James Used To Lose Weight
- Week 5 Survivor Pool: 3 Locks, 2 Values And An Upset Special
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Torrey Smith Says Some Patriots Fans Made Fun Of His Dead Brother On Twitter
In September, Torrey Smith’s younger brother Tevin was killed in a motorcycle accident. The younger Smith was riding his motorcycle in northeast Virginia on on the night of September 22nd, when he ran off the right side of the roadway and struck a utility pole. According to Virginia State Police, Smith was wearing a helmet, and alcohol wasn’t a factor.
Less than 24 hours after his brother’s death, Torrey Smith went for 127 yards receiving and two touchdowns in a Week 3 win over the Patriots. (“It was tough. I didn’t know until 4 o’clock if I was going to play,” Smith said at the time. “I only had like an hour of sleep. Emotionally, I didn’t know how I was going to hold up.” He held up well.) After that game, a Pats fan wrote an insensitive tweet about Smith’s brother (“Hey, Smith, how about you call your bro and tell him all about your win— Ohhhh. Wait. #TooSoon?”), and her life was briefly made hell over it. Harassed on Twitter and identified by name and employer, Katie Moody later had to apologize in a statement.
Now, after Sunday’s Ravens’ win in the AFC Championship, a few Pats fans are (reportedly) back to reminding Torrey Smith about his dead brother.
Smith tweeted this today:
Played a lot of games since my brothers death and I never received as many rude tweets after a win than Sunday…yet NE fans cry about class
— Torrey Smith (@TorreySmithWR) January 22, 2013
The tweets in question couldn’t be found, because the volume with which Smith receives tweets prevents users from seeing @ messages directed at him as far back as, say, Sunday night. If you saw any of the offending messages, get at us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Filed Under:
- torrey smith
- Jon Lester Admits His Problems with Living in Oakland
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'