- Our NBA Power Rankings: Once Again, Everyone Is Underestimating The Spurs
- U.S. Men Smashed The 4x400 Relay Record, Reportedly Received 'Love' Afterwards
- Minnesota Representative's Racist NBA Tweet Leaves A Big Mess
- Oh ... Oh No. Here's The Helmet An Arena League Team Will Be Wearing This Season
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
A Soccer Ball That Becomes Charged When You Play With It, Doubles As An Electrical Outlet
Has your phone ever died? Do you have feet? What about friends? If you’re like us, two of those things are a reality — and this marvel of modern ingenuity solves all three. (Who wouldn’t want to be friends with the guy with a cool soccer ball power plant?) Introducing “The Soccket,” a revolutionary new take on turning downtime into productive time. So how does it work?
The interior of the ball uses a “pendulum-like mechanism” (not much different than the one found inside self-powering watches) to capture the kinetic energy created by the movement of the ball. Think of it like one of those wind-up toys, except instead of releasing the energy to make the toy walk, it stores it in a light-weight battery.
[YoVigo] About one ounce heavier than a standard soccer ball, the Soccket is constructed from a custom water-resistant EVA foam that is both durable and soft to the touch.
The basic idea is pretty simple: Allow people in rural areas (or camping trips or beach vacations if you’re from the first world), to power small devices without being hooked up to a large scale electrical grid. Power supply — not the supply of phones — is the biggest obstacle keeping the developing world from obtaining wide-spread smart phone use.
More smart phones = more access information. Information makes people smarter. Smarter people = better life. Right?
The Soccket is looking to change by harnessing the most inexhaustible supply of energy on the planet: Kids running around kicking stuff. The Kickstarter project is still short of their goal, so make sure to contribute to the cause.
- Trainer Robert Garcia Spills Marcos Maidana secrets
- Marcos Maidana Drops Jaws
- Tyson Fury Returns to the Ring
- Does Ruslan Provodnikov Strike Fear In Juan Manuel Marquez?