- Shocking Madden 15 Cornerback Rankings Put Sherman-Peterson Beef To Rest
- Football In San Antonio? Raiders Meet With City Officials, Eyeing A Move To Lone Star State
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Features Sharks Eating Mets Fans (VIDEO)
- Fun With Baseball-Reference: These Dudes Actually Existed And Went By These Ridiculous Names
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
A Soccer Ball That Becomes Charged When You Play With It, Doubles As An Electrical Outlet
Has your phone ever died? Do you have feet? What about friends? If you’re like us, two of those things are a reality — and this marvel of modern ingenuity solves all three. (Who wouldn’t want to be friends with the guy with a cool soccer ball power plant?) Introducing “The Soccket,” a revolutionary new take on turning downtime into productive time. So how does it work?
The interior of the ball uses a “pendulum-like mechanism” (not much different than the one found inside self-powering watches) to capture the kinetic energy created by the movement of the ball. Think of it like one of those wind-up toys, except instead of releasing the energy to make the toy walk, it stores it in a light-weight battery.
[YoVigo] About one ounce heavier than a standard soccer ball, the Soccket is constructed from a custom water-resistant EVA foam that is both durable and soft to the touch.
The basic idea is pretty simple: Allow people in rural areas (or camping trips or beach vacations if you’re from the first world), to power small devices without being hooked up to a large scale electrical grid. Power supply — not the supply of phones — is the biggest obstacle keeping the developing world from obtaining wide-spread smart phone use.
More smart phones = more access information. Information makes people smarter. Smarter people = better life. Right?
The Soccket is looking to change by harnessing the most inexhaustible supply of energy on the planet: Kids running around kicking stuff. The Kickstarter project is still short of their goal, so make sure to contribute to the cause.
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts