- Falcons Fans Bro Out, Nearly Ruin Emotional Moment Between Deion Sanders And Devin Hester
- Andy Murray Plays Both Sides Of The Net On Scotland Question
- Peyton Manning Says That Colorado's New Weed Laws Have Been Good For His Pizza Business
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 3 FLEX Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Clint Dempsey Close To A Deal With The Seattle Sounders. Wait, What?
If there’s one thing we’ve learned over the past couple of years, it’s that Twitter rumors are never, ever right. They should be immediately discounted as insignificant, like Bigfoot sightings and Drew Brees restaurant tips. Right, MLS Soccer.com?
That site, and a few others, spent the morning snickering at Clint-Dempsey-to-the-MLS Internet chatter, and, WHO’S LAUGHING NOW. Because suddenly this happened:
ESPN reports that Clint Dempsey transfer to Seattle is imminent http://t.co/xIVxUzuzJP
— dirtytackle (@BrooksDT) August 2, 2013
What started the rumor? Apparently a random fan spotted Dempsey at San Francisco International Airport.
That photo this morning of Clint Dempsey at a US airport that sparked MLS rumors? http://t.co/0unudcLqeg well ….
— Jason McIntyre (@jasonrmcintyre) August 2, 2013
And that eventually led to this:
The Seattle Sounders and Tottenham Hotspur are finalizing the transfer of U.S. national team star Clint Dempsey, who is expected to be introduced as the newest Sounder as early as Saturday, multiple sources told ESPNFC.com.
No other details –- including the transfer fee the Sounders paid Spurs to acquire the 30-year-old forward/midfielder’s rights — were provided.
Sounders GM and minority owner Adrian Hanauer declined to comment Friday, as did two other high-ranking Sounders employees reached Thursday evening. One said he didn’t want to jeopardize his job by confirming that a move was imminent. “But let’s put it this way: I’m not surprised I’m receiving a call,” that employee said.
We have video of Clint Dempsey arriving in SeaTac http://t.co/h2XgCmi9Jh
— Bobby Big Wheel (@BobbyBigWheel) August 2, 2013
Seattle: "Check." MLS: "Pot-size bet." Seattle: "All in." MLS: "Call." Seattle: "Clint Dempsey." #Soundersrakeinpot
— Andy Glockner (@AndyGlockner) August 2, 2013
I have no idea why Dempsey would do this: no way is Seattle paying him anything close to what Everton or Tottenham could. Perhaps it’s so he can be on a U.S. team roster for the World Cup? It’s a mystery. The only thing that I can think of is that he loves to fish.
Photo: Action Images/Adam Holt.
- Filed Under:
- Clint Dempsey
- 40-Year-Old Hot Mom Nabs Saints Cheerleader Job
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee
- Christy Mack Releases Horrific War Machine Beating Photos
- MMA Fans Protest Over Brock Lesnar